Getting a driving license in Delhi is uncomplicated if you are familiar with the process. A driving license is crucial if you intend to drive in and around Delhi. To operate a motor vehicle here, you must first obtain a provisional license; only then are you qualified to apply for a permanent license.
No one is allowed to operate a motor vehicle in Delhi unless they have a current driving license that has been issued by one of India’s regional transport offices.
The Regional Transport Office (RTO), an agency of the Indian government, is in charge of issuing driving permits and registering vehicles in the nation. The guidelines for granting licenses in Delhi are set by the Road Transport Association.
Here is a thorough guide explaining how to obtain a driving license, get a duplicate license, apply for an overseas driving permit, and renew your driving license in Delhi.
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Delhi (D.L.)
In Delhi, applicants seeking permanent driving licenses can specify the kind of vehicle they want the permit for. The following vehicles are eligible for licenses from Delhi’s Regional Transport Office:
Category of Use
|Engine capacity of 50cc or less motorcycles
||Motorcycles without gears which are mopeds and scooters
||Used in Non-transport purposes, Light motor vehicles
||Motorcycles with gear and a capacity of 50cc or more along with Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) like cars
||MC With Gear or M/CYCL.WG
||Medium Goods Vehicles
||Light Motor Vehicles
||Heavy Motor Vehicles
||Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle
||Heavy Passenger motor vehicle Heavy transport vehicle
||Medium Goods Vehicle
||Person holding heavy vehicle driving licence can apply for heavy trailer licence
Also Read: How To Transfer Ownership Of Vehicle In New Delhi
Types of Driving Licence (DL) – Driving Licence Categories
There are two types of driving licence divided into various categories. Here are the different types of driving licences divided into categories.
||Vehicles that have an engine capacity of 50cc or less than that.
||Vehicles like jeeps and motor cars fall under the Light Motor Vehicle Category but these are non-transport class.
||Vehicles without gears fall under this category like scooters and mopeds.
||Vehicles like motorcycles with gears whose engine capacity is 50cc or more.
||Vehicles, like motorcycles with and without gear, fall under this category.
||Vehicles like trailers, large trucks, and other similar vehicles used for the transport of goods fall under the category of HGMV.
||Vehicles that run for commercial purposes and have an All India Permit to carry passengers fall under the HPMV category.
Also Read: e-Challan Delhi: How to Pay Traffic Challan Online in Delhi?
Delhi (D.L.) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
The following prerequisites must be satisfied for an applicant to apply for a driving license in Delhi:
- The candidate needs to be at least 18 years old.
- The candidate must hold a learner’s license.
- After 30 days and within 180 days of receiving a learner’s license, the candidate should apply for a permanent driving license.
- The applicant should be knowledgeable of all applicable traffic laws.
- The applicant must be at least 20 years old to be eligible to apply for a commercial driver’s license.
Also Read: Learning License Delhi – Learning License Online & Offline Apply in Delhi
Documents Required for a Driving Licence in Delhi:
In Delhi, the applicant must submit the following paperwork to apply for a permanent driving license:
- Age proof: The applicant is required to submit any one of the below-mentioned documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Voter’s ID Card
- School Leaving Certificate
- Pan Card
- Address proof: The applicant should submit any one of the documents from the following:
- Life Insurance Policy
- Ration Card
- Utility bills such as electricity bill, telephone bill, etc.
- Pay slip issued by the state or central government
- Other documents: These are some of the additional documents required to apply for your driving licence.
- Original Learner’s licence
- Application form number 4
- 3 passport-size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Delhi?
You must follow the procedure listed below to finish the process of applying for a driving license in Delhi and meet all the requirements:
- Step 1: To get the application form, you must go to the nearby RTO. You can also submit an application through your driving school.
- Step 2: The application form can also be downloaded from the official website and submitted online. You must enter the following information: your name, Parent’s Name, Apartment Address, Educational Background, Date of Birth, Location of birth, blood type, and Identification marks. Additional paperwork (like passport-sized photos, address proof, and ID proof) must also be submitted.
- Step 3: After submitting the above documents, you will be given a time slot for your preliminary exam. The RTP officers will assess your familiarity with applicable laws, rules of the road, and traffic regulations.
- Step 4: You will receive a learner’s license after you pass the test.
- Step 5: You need a working learner’s license to obtain a permanent one. After 30 days and within the following 180 days following the day a learner’s license was issued, you must submit an application.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Delhi?
Applying for a driving licence has become an easy process as it can now be done online as well. The following points compose the full procedure for applying for a Permanent Driving licence:
- Step 1: First, visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways by clicking here.
- Step 2: Select the “Driving licence” option shown on the home page. There you will find the form for a new driving licence.
- Step 3: You can download this form and fill in the required information as requested. This information will include vehicle details, personal details, and many more.
- Step 4: After completing the online form, you must upload the required documents and submit the form on the website.
- Step 5: After this, you must carry the required original documents when you visit the RTO Office for your driving test.
- Step 6: Now you will receive the acknowledgment and an application number along with the notification once your application has been processed.
- Step 7: Now if you pass the driving test, you will receive your driving licence by post.
Booking an Appointment for Driving Licence Test:
You can schedule an appointment for the test online after submitting your application and learning whether you are eligible to take it. This gives you the option to select a test date and time that works for you and guarantees that your test will be administered on that day. The steps for scheduling an appointment are listed below:
- Step 1: Visit www.sarathi.nic.in and select the “Appointment for slot booking” option on the homepage.
- Step 2: Now select the “DL Slot Booking” option from the drop-down menu at the top of the page. After that, select the “Slot Booking for Online Applications” option.
- Step 3: After completing the above steps, fill in the details asked on the page that appears, including your online application number, which you must have received.
- Step 4: Then, you will be able to select your preferred date and time slot for your driving test.
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
There are two ways to check the application status of your driving licence. Both are described below with detailed procedures to obtain your application status.
Steps to check Driving Licence Status Online through State Transport Department website:
- Step 1: Visit the State Transport Department website of Delhi by going on https://transport.delhi.gov.in/home/transport-department.
- Step 2: Select the “Civil Services” option from the main menu.
- Step 3: Select the “licence” option from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Choose the “Permanent licence” option.
- Step 5: Now click on the apply online button.
- Step 6: You will be redirected to the Parivahan website. Here, select the “Online Services” option from the main menu.
- Step 7: Select “Driving licence Related Services” and then select your state.
- Step 8: Select the” Application Status” option, and your driving licence status will be shown.
- Step 9: Click on the form and fill in the details like the application number and date of birth, and fill in the captcha code shown.
- Step 10: After entering the details, click the submit button, and the application status will be shown on your screen.
Steps to check Driving Licence Status Online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website by clicking here at parivahan.gov.
- Step 2: Click on the “Driving licence Related Services” option under the “Online Services” tab.
- Step 3: Now click on the “Application Status” option in the top left corner.
- Step 4: Click on the “Application Status” option at the top right corner.
- Step 5: Enter the details required, including the application number, date of birth, and captcha shown on the screen.
- Step 6: After completing all the details, click submit.
- Step 7: After submitting the information, you will be shown the current status of your driving licence application on the screen.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi?
The zonal office also accepts applications for duplicate licenses. The issuing authority must receive a legitimate justification. The relevant authority or police station must be notified if a license is lost or stolen. The complaint document must be presented to the RTO to obtain a duplicate driving license.
If the license can be located in the records, the applicant can supply information such as the license number and the date of issuance in the event it is lost. Reapplication is the sole option if there are no details. If the license has expired, the applicant must give the relevant RTO a letter of authorization from the Transport Department’s headquarters.
Documents required while applying for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi:
The important documents required for applying for a duplicate licence in Delhi are as follows:
- Properly completed and signed application form.
- An affidavit, a copy of the complaint, and the F.I.R.
- Delhi Traffic Police’s report on challan clearance.
- Form No. 1
- Copy of self-attested evidence of residence.
- Receipt for the money for a duplicate license.
- A form for a fitness certificate
Steps to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi:
Here is the list of the simple steps you need to follow to complete the procedure of applying for a duplicate driving licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: The applicant should submit the application form and other necessary documents in offline mode in the same RTO Office from where the driving licence was issued.
- Step 2: If you can’t reach the RTO Office at the specified time, you need to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the office in order to carry forward with your application for the duplicate driving licence.
- Step 3: The applicant is needed to submit the proof of identity and proceed with the payment of the application fee along with the submission of the documents.
- Step 4: After the verification from the RTO Office, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to the applicant.
How to Renew a Driving Licence in Delhi?
A driving licence can be applied for renewal when it expires. It must be made sure that the renewal is done within 30 days of the driving licence expiring. The procedure for applying for the renewal of a driving licence in Delhi is given below.
Documents Required for Renewal of Driving Licence in Delhi:
These are the necessary documents required for renewal of driving licence in Delhi:
- The expired driving licence of the applicant
- Renewal of driving licence application form (Form 9)
- Application Form number 2
- Form number 1 (Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles)
- Form number 1A (Medical Certificate for Transport Vehicles only).
- 3 Passport size photographs
- NOC (No Objection Certificate)
- Fees as prescribed along with the user charges.
Steps to Apply for a Renewal Licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: Fill up the form at the RTO.
- Step 2: Complete the form and submit it with the necessary documentation at the RTO.
- Step 3: The applicant will receive the renewed license that day when the documents are verified.
- Step 1: Visit Delhi’s Government’s transportation website.
- Step 2: Print the form after downloading it online.
- Step 3: Fill it out and deliver it to the RTO office together with the necessary paperwork.
- Step 4: The applicant receives a driving license the same day after the documents are verified.
How to Apply for an International Driving Licence in Delhi?
You need to have an international driving license before you may drive a car abroad. Even though the driving license provided by the Indian government is recognized in many nations, not all do. You can go to the nearby RTO and provide the necessary information to obtain an IDL. The RTO will request certain documentation, such as:
Eligibility Criteria for obtaining an International Driving Licence in Delhi:
- The age requirement for applicants is greater than 18 at the time of application.
- Candidates must have a current Indian driving license.
- People whose licenses have been suspended or taken away are not eligible to apply.
- Only those with Delhi-issued driving licenses are eligible to apply for an international license. Before applying, license holders from other states must update their address to their Delhi address.
- Candidates who have their licenses granted within three months after applying for an international license must retake the driving exam.
Documents Required for getting an International Driving Licence in Delhi:
Documents needed in Delhi to obtain an international driver’s license are mentioned below. The following paperwork must be provided when applying for an international driver’s licence:
- A valid driver’s license
- Nationality evidence
- Permits and passports
- Valid proof of residence
- Five photos in passport size
- Medical form Form 1-A
- A charge of 1000 Rupees
The applicant must deliver the aforementioned papers to the RTO office. The form can be downloaded online or received at the RTO office. The applicant will be given an international driving license after verification.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: The applicant is required to submit the application form and other required documents at the RTO office in person.
- Step 2: After the verification of the licence and completion of the process, the international driving licence will be sent to the registered address of the applicant.
Driving Test Procedure in Delhi:
The time slot for the driving test is up to the candidate. But it must happen within six months of receiving the learner’s permit. The selected inspector does the test after checking all of the submitted paperwork. Since the RTO does not offer automobiles for the test, the applicant must make arrangements for his own vehicle, or the motor driving school will make arrangements for the same if it is a four-wheeled vehicle.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
These vehicle categories’ tests are administered close to the RTO. The applicant must travel along the border in a car. Also, he might be asked to form the number “Eight” without hitting the inserted poles in the corners.
Additionally, the rider will demonstrate skills including changing gears, maintaining control of the motorcycle while changing speeds, reversing or bending curves, and doing a “figure of eight” without touching the ground.
If the rider completes all of this successfully, the inspector gives his approval and sends him for the road test. In this test, the applicant is given a set distance to cover while his riding excellence and compliance with traffic laws are assessed. After passing these exams, the applicant is qualified to receive a permanent licence.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The four-wheeler driving test is similar to the two- or three-wheeler test. The applicant must follow the ‘H’ without touching the columns that have been drawn on the ground. This test will determine whether the driver can maintain concentration while reversing or changing gears.
After passing the ground test, the driver is required to operate the vehicle on the road while the inspector watches. On-road driving abilities, adherence to traffic laws, and other factors will be examined.
How to Make Corrections in Driving Licence in Delhi?
Occasionally, small errors like misspelled names and addresses appear on granted driver’s licenses. The inaccuracies must be fixed because the driver’s license also serves as identification. In some situations, a person may have changed their name after getting married, and the driving license must also reflect this change. The steps for implementing such changes are listed below:
Documents Required for Corrections in Driving Licence in Delhi:
Only the RTO where the license was issued will accept applications. In Delhi, the following paperwork must be supplied when requesting a driver’s license correction:
- A request form
- When changing one’s name, supporting documents such as a marriage certificate and a gazette notice must be included with the form.
- Copy of current driver’s license
Procedure for Correction in Driving Licence in Delhi:
- Following the submission of the application form, the applicant will receive an acknowledgment, and a temporary license with the requested amendments will be issued.
- The applicant’s address, as it appears on the application, will be used to mail a new driver’s license with the revisions.
- The application must be turned in personally by the applicant along with all necessary documentation.
A No Objection Certificate (NOC) must be acquired from the RTO that issued the license if the changes are to be made at an RTO that did not issue the license.
How to Change Address in Driving Licence in Delhi?
You are allowed to alter your address while holding a driver’s license. Your driving license must be updated to reflect this change to comply with the law, and you have seven days from the date you changed your residence.
Any person with a valid driver’s license may submit an application for a change of address using the forms and process outlined below:
Documents Required for Address Change in Driving Licence in Delhi:
- The applicant’s form
- Current driver’s license
- Changes address proof (ration card, utility bills, passport, etc. can be submitted)
- Application fee
- NOC (No Objection Certificate)
Procedure for Address Change in Driving Licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: The applicant should submit the required documents in person to the RTO Office along with a requisition letter addressed to the Regional Transport Officer and the application fees.
- Step 2: Then the applicant’s photograph will be taken at the RTO for verification
- Step 3: A temporary licence will be issued that will contain the changed address in the meantime.
- Step 4: The applicant will receive the updated new driving licence with the changed address in the post to the new registered address.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
Here are some tips for an applicant to clear their driving test:
- Practice beforehand to feel secure in your driving abilities.
- To calm your anxieties before the test, get to the location a bit early.
- Wait until the bike or automobile has completely stopped before turning it off.
- Smooth gear changes are ideal.
- While riding, use the side and rearview mirrors.
- Display an indicator and a hand signal while turning.
- No more than 15 minutes should pass during the driving test.
There will be an RTO official there to observe your driving skills. He will sit next to you as you drive the automobile so he can watch the clutch and gears.
The Bottom Line
As you can expect, driving is very popular in the state because it allows you to earn money or get around the always crowded public transportation. Thankfully, the administration greatly simplified both offline and online applications for driving permits in the state. This manual served as a reference for obtaining a driver’s license in Delhi.
How to Apply for Driving License in other states?
A: The ‘L’ symbol denotes that the driver is learning to drive. He should have a learning license, per the guidelines, whereas the individual in the other seat needs a permanent license. Even once you learn to drive, you can still use the L sign.
A: If you drive a commercial (passenger or goods) vehicle, you must renew your license every three years.
A: Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in/parivahan for more information.
Step 2: is to select the "Online Services" option.
Step 3: Select "Driving Licence Related Services" from the tab menu.
Step 4: From the drop-down menu, select the State.
Step 5: Select the "Application Status" tab on the far right.
A: Step 1: Print Form 8 from your neighborhood Regional Transport Office (RTO) or carry it.
Step 2: Enter your information to add a class.
Step 3: You will be given a learner's license and have to turn in your old driver's license.
A: Depending on when it expires first, your license is valid for 20 years from the date of issuance or until you are 50.
A: A quality driving school aids your development as a cautious and responsible driver. You are instructed in various driving techniques and the abilities required to drive safely. This helps you ensure the safety of everyone else on the road, yourself, and your vehicle.
A: 1. Before the test, calm down. Don't let the pressure get the best of you; feeling anxious before your official road test is regular.
2. Use common sense at all times.
3. Keep both hands on the wheel at all times.
4. Always gaze forward.
5. Be brave and ask questions.
A: You must gather your application and supporting documentation and go if you happen to have failed the DL test. After seven days, you are permitted to retake the exam. You must pay the test fees when you show up for the retest.
A: The course intends to revive training for someone who has already received LMV training but wants to improve their skills. The workshop lasts for three days and has a 20-person class size.