Kolkata is known as the city of joy in India and has traffic congestion issues and population density. Moreover, according to the study of the global traffic congestion report, Kolkata congestion is the worst, along with Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai, etc. However, even if the number of registered vehicles is nearly over 10 million, its road network is quite satisfactory, and hence traffic congestion becomes relatively lower.
To stop the rising threats of speeding, rash driving, drunk driving, etc., the Government of India has introduced the revised Motor Vehicles Act, 2019, and e-challan penalties. It is a crucial step to enforce the strict rules of the amendment to pull down traffic violations.
Earlier, people had to go physically to the police station and pay their challan offline. But the process has become easier with the enforcement of new traffic regulations. So, we will talk here about the e challan, e challan payment, and other necessary details of traffic e-challan. Do read the article till the last.
What is E-Challan?
Most of you might know about the concept of e-challan in bank transactions. However, it is a computer-generated vehicle document issued to all traffic defaulters or violators and is the replaced version of the traffic challan system. It is also known as the mixture of state-of-the-art technology and the Traffic Police of the city services to clear fines online. The e-challan is an initiative by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).
Also Read: How To Transfer Ownership Of Vehicle In Kolkata
What is a Traffic e-Challan?
A ticket is given, known as the traffic challan, if you violate any traffic rule. However, it is a document that lists the rule you broke and pays a fine for it. These days, authorities find it difficult to maintain and record challans issued manually.
Hence, the concept of e-challan has made the system easy. It is a software application system designed to be supported by Android mobile phones and the web to enforce traffic rules and improve transparency.
Also Read: Learning Licence West Bengal – Learning Licence Online & Offline Apply in West Bengal
How does Traffic e-Challan work?
Due to the emergence of technology, the online solution for e-challan issuance has many aspects in our daily life. The perspective behind the e-challan is to create a seamless approach to penalising traffic violations. To understand the concept of how e-challan works, here are some following points:
- The traffic authorities have placed CCTV cameras on the main roads to continuously record footage of the ongoing traffic.
- If any motorist breaks any traffic rule, the act is recorded in the footage. The enforced Officer will refer to the footage and access the vehicle details by coordinating with the Regional Transport Office(RTO).
- After that, an e-challan receipt will be delivered to the registered mobile number through SMS, and violators must pay the required amount within 60 days from the date of issuance.
What Information does Traffic Challan contain?
The traffic police challan contains the following information about the violator:
- Offence descriptions.
- The Vehicle number.
- Details of the officer
- Trial date.
- Offender’s names and addresses
- Confiscated documents
- Court name and address where the offender must be present on the trial date.
Traffic Rules and Regulations in Kolkata:
Over the years, there has been a rise in the number of accidents in the city of Kolkata as the number of vehicles is increasing at an alarming rate. However, it can be solved only when strict traffic rules and regulations are enforced around the city. Also, drivers or riders must adhere to strict rules and regulations. Well, the general traffic rules and regulations in Kolkata are:
- Stay alert when the traffic light turns amber, and start the vehicle as the light will change soon.
- When the light turns red, stop and do not cross the line as it is an offence.
- When the light is red, check if the road is clear and proceed.
- Move the vehicle forward when the traffic light turns green and if the light is at an intersection, move forward slowly.
Traffic Rules and Norms for 4 – Wheeler Drivers:
- It is prohibited to drive under the influence of alcohol and other intoxications.
- All vehicle documents should be carried by the driver.
- Drivers are not allowed to use their mobile phones while driving.
- Driver and people occupying the co-driver seat must wear seat belts.
Traffic Rules and Norms for 2- Wheeler Drivers:
- The rider must carry all the relevant documents of their vehicle.
- The rider and the pillion rider must wear a helmet.
- While riding, using mobile phones is prohibited.
- A rider should ride 2-wheeler under the influence of alcohol and other intoxications.
How to Check Traffic Fine and Challan Status in Bangalore? – Step-by-Step Procedure:
1. Steps for Checking E- Challan Status:
These days, it is easy to check traffic fine and challan status due to the introduction of the e-challan concept. To check the challan status, the steps are:
- Step 2: Click on Check Challan Status and provide the challan details, DL, etc.
- Step 3: Fill in the visible Captcha code on your screen.
- Step 4: Click Get Detail to obtain information on e-challan.
2. Steps for Checking Traffic Fines in Kolkata:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Kolkata Traffic Police website and click the e-challan payment section.
- Step 2: Select the Traffic Violation Payment section and click the violation type.
- Step 3: Now, you can see the violation type through the SMS sent to the registered mobile number.
- Step 4: Then, enter all the vehicle details for the Challan and check the total fine imposed on you against the violation.
How to Pay Traffic Fines Online in Kolkata? – Step-by-Step Procedure
There are multiple methods to pay the traffic challan online. You can pay through the official Kolkata police website, Parivahan app, Paytm, etc. Also, offline procedures are available to make challan payments in West Kolkata.
How to Pay Traffic Challan Online via Kolkata Traffic Police Website?
The steps to pay e-Challan via the Kolkata traffic challan website are:
- Step 1: Open the official Kolkata Traffic Police website on your phone and click the make online Payment.
- Step 2: Give the details of the vehicle number and the chassis number.
- Step 3: For OTP verification, fill in the mobile number and email address.
- Step 4: After the OTP verification, click confirm for details.
- Step 5: Click on the challan receipt and pay the amount.
How to Pay Traffic Challan Online via Paytm?
To pay challan online via Paytm, the following steps are:
- Step 1: Open the Paytm App on the phone and click on the Challan option.
- Step 2: Select the Traffic Authority and enter the Challan ID and vehicle number.
- Step 3: Click on Proceed to check the payment amount.
- Step 4: Choose the mode of payment from credit card, debit card, Paytm wallet, UPI, etc.
- Step 5: Once the payment process is complete, users get a notification of challan payment details.
How to Pay Traffic Challan Online via Parivahan Website?
The steps to pay traffic police challan through the Parivahan website:
- Step 1: Open the Parivahan website and click on the check online services tab.
- Step 2: Enter the challan number, chassis number, DL number, etc.
- Step 3: Type the captcha code appearing on the screen.
- Step 4: After that click on the Get Detail tab and select one or more challans.
- Step 6: Pay the amount after filling the payment details.
Kolkata Traffic Police Challan List:
Every year, people choose to relocate for various reasons, which have caused an increased number of vehicles in the city and often result in traffic congestion. To check the status of the Kolkata traffic e-challan online, you can check the Parivahan e-challan portal. Here are some traffic rules and penalties for breaking them:
|Driving without a valid license
||2-3 Wheelers – Rs. 1,000; Light Motor Vehicle(LMV) – Rs. 2,000; Others – Rs. 5,000
|Driving a vehicle that has not been registered
||2-3 Wheelers – Rs. 2,000; LMV – Rs. 3,000; Others – Rs. 5,000
|Driving a vehicle without Insurance
||2-3 Wheelers – Rs. 1,000; LMV – Rs. 2,000; Others – Rs. 4,000
|Driving without wearing a helmet
|Not allowing emergency vehicles to overtake
||Rs. 5,000. In addition to this, Rs. 2,000 per ton that exceeds over the limit
Revised Traffic Fine and Penalties in Kolkata from Sept 2019:
From 1st September 2019, Kolkata has revised new traffic fines and penalties. With the new penalty rates, the number of challans issued has dropped sharply. Here is the list of the revised penalty sheet:
||Revised Penalty Amount
|Violation of Stop Line, even by a marginal extent, while the traffic signal is red.
|Riding/driving without a Pollution Certificate
|Crossing the toll plaza without FAS Tag
||2 x the toll fees
|Violation of Air Pollution Standards by a vehicle releasing excessive smoke
|Red signal jumping
|Penalty for not wearing rear seat bet by co-passenger
|Riding a 2 Wheeler while wearing sandal, chappal or flip flops
|Red light jumping plus dangerous driving
|Violation of orders given by on duty traffic police officer
|Double fine which is levied in case of overspeeding along with dangerous driving
||Rs. 10000 + Court challan. In addition to this, your vehicle might also be detained
|Using mobile phone while driving by the driver
|Driving without the Color Coded Sticker or High Security Number Plate
||Fine amount can reach upto Rs. 10,000
|Taking selfie while driving a car
|Using private car for commercial purposes/ offering lift to unknown person
|Minor caught driving any vehicle
||Fine of Rs. 25,000. In addition to this, the car owner will be sentenced to 3 year imprisonment
|Front Bumper guard/ Bull Bar
|Riding/driving without a valid Driving Licence
||For 2-3 wheelers: Rs. 1000
For Four Wheelers and light motor vehicles (LMV): Rs. 2000
For other types of vehicles except the two above-mentioned types: Rs. 5000
|Riding/driving a vehicle that is not registered
||For 2-3 wheelers: Rs. 2000
For Four Wheelers and Light Motor Vehicles(LMV): Rs. 3000
For other types of vehicles except the two types mentioned-above: Rs. 5000
|Overloading of any Vehicle (except two-wheelers)
||Rs. 5000 plus Rs. 2000 per extra tonne
|Breaking the fixed speed limit
||For 2-3 wheelers, 4-wheelers and light motor vehicles: Rs. 1000
For other types of vehicles except those mentioned above: Rs. 2000
|Driving/riding an uninsured vehicle
||For only 2 wheelers, the new penalty amount is Rs. 1000
For vehicles other than two wheelers, the fine remains the same i.e, Rs. 2000.
|Not wearing seatbelts while driving
|Uncooperative towards enforcing traffic authorities
|Not allowing emergency vehicles such as ambulances, police cars, etc. to pass
|Two-wheeler vehicle overloading
|Riding without wearing helmets
||For 2-3 wheelers: Rs. 1500
For 4-wheelers and light motor vehicles: Rs. 3000
For other types of vehicles except the above-mentioned ones: Rs. 5000
In case of second time and subsequent offences: Rs. 10,000
- Driving on the opposite side on One Way
- Vehicle having a Fancy/Defective Number Plate
- Driving without switching on the headlight after sunset
- Driving at night using High Beam
- Standing on the White Lane/ Crossing zebra line while the traffic signal is red
- Parking a vehicle in such a way as causing inconvenience to others.
|Rs, 500 for each of the offences.
The enforcement of the e-challan facility has made the process easy and helped in checking online traffic challan status, payments, etc. These days, the authorities have become strict. They also introduced Revised penalties and reduced the number of violations. People can pay e-challan through multiple payment modes at ease.
How to Pay E-Challan in Other Cities:
A: Within 60 days, the Violator must pay the e challan in Kolkata from the date of issuance.
A: E-challan can be issued due to violation of traffic rules and norms such as driving under alcohol, juvenile driving, overspeeding, racing, etc.
A: The Kolkata Traffic Police and West Bengal Traffic Police authorised the collection of e-challan fines in Kolkata.
A: If you don't pay the e-challan, then the matter will proceed to court, and failure to appear in court will result in cancelling the Driving License.
A: You can check the traffic challan online in Kolkata on the Parivahan website by providing the DL number, vehicle number, etc.
A: Yes, wearing a helmet is compulsory for scooters and motorcycle riders. Otherwise, you need to pay the penalty to the traffic authority.
A: No, while driving, you are not allowed to use your phone. In an emergency, you must stop the car and attend to the phone call.
A: Some serious traffic violations that can enforce penalties are: driving without a License, driving without Insurance, driving with disqualified DL, driving under the influence of Alcohol or Intoxicating Substances, not wearing a helmet, etc.
A: Yes, your mobile number must be registered to get e-challan notifications.
A: Yes, fine online payment is safe. You must ensure to fill correct bank details and other requirements.
A: The penalty for driving without an insurance policy is Rs. 2,000 or imprisonment of up to 3 months, as per the new rule.
A: Yes, there is a fine for driving a car without a seat belt, and the penalty is rs 1000.
A: If you violate any rule, an SMS is sent to you notifying the fault committed and the required amount.
A: There are three types of challan: Online Challan, GBSS Challan, and Manual Challans.