A driving licence is an important document for every person who wants to drive any vehicle anywhere in the country. Moreover, a driving licence gives you the legal freedom you need to drive in Maharashtra and adjoining cities such as Pune, Thane, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Aurangabad, etc..
In our country, different states have different rules about driving licences respectively. But getting a driving licence from the state of Maharashtra is incredibly easy if you know the correct procedure.
So let us learn some important points about obtaining a driving licence in Maharashtra.
Types of Driving licence (DL) in Maharashtra (MH)
A person can obtain a driving licence in the state of Maharashtra based on the type of vehicle they want to drive. There are mainly two types of vehicles, Transport Vehicle, and Non-Transport Vehicles, which are again divided into subcategories. Here is the table depicting the different types of driving licences in Maharashtra:
Category of Use
|Engine capacity of 50cc or less motorcycles
||Motorcycles without gears which are mopeds and scooters
||Used in Non-transport purposes, Light motor vehicles
||Motorcycles with gear and a capacity of 50cc or more along with Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) like cars
||MC With Gear or M/CYCL.WG
||Medium Goods Vehicles
||Light Motor Vehicles
||Heavy Motor Vehicles
||Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle
||Heavy Passenger motor vehicle Heavy transport vehicle
||Medium Goods Vehicle
||A person holding heavy vehicle driving licence can apply for a heavy trailer licence
Also Read: How To Transfer Ownership Of Vehicle In Pune
Types of Driving licence (DL) – Driving Licence Categories
There are two types of driving licence divided into various categories. Here are the different types of driving licences divided into categories:
||Vehicles that have an engine capacity of 50cc or less than that.
||Vehicles like jeeps and motor cars fall under the Light Motor Vehicle Category, but these are non-transport class.
||Vehicles without gears fall under this category like scooters and mopeds.
||Vehicles like motorcycles with gears whose engine capacity is 50cc or more.
||Vehicles, like motorcycles with and without gear, fall under this category.
||Vehicles like trailers, large trucks, and other similar vehicles used for the transport of goods fall under the category of HGMV.
||Vehicles that run for commercial purposes and have an All India Permit to carry passengers fall under the HPMV category.
Also Read: How To Transfer Ownership Of Vehicle In Mumbai
Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
To apply for a driving licence in Maharashtra, a person has to meet specific requirements. These come under the eligibility criteria for obtaining a driving licence in Maharashtra.
- Individuals should be above 16 years of age to apply for a two-wheeler driving licence and above 18 years of age to apply for a vehicle driving licence.
- A person who wants to apply for a driving licence for a transport vehicle has to be above 20 years of age.
- All applicants must have a Learner’s licence before applying for a Permanent Driving licence.
- The Permanent Driving licence should be applied for after completion of 30 days and within 180 days of the issue of your Learner’s licence.
- To apply for a Permanent Driving licence for a two-wheeler with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, individuals should be above the age of 16 years.
Also Read: e-Challan Mumbai – How to Pay Traffic Challan Online in Mumbai?
Documents Required for a Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
To obtain a driving licence in Maharashtra, the applicant must have certain documents for their application. The required documents are listed below.
- Age proof: The applicant is required to submit any one of the below-mentioned documents.
- Birth Certificate
- Voter’s ID Card
- School Leaving Certificate
- Pan Card
- Address proof: The applicant should submit any one of the documents from the following.
- Life Insurance Policy
- Ration Card
- Utility bills such as electricity bill, telephone bill, etc.
- Pay slip issued by the state or central government
- Other documents: These are some of the additional documents required to apply for your driving licence.
- Original Learner’s licence
- Application form number 4
- 3 passport-size photographs
Also Read: e-Challan Pune – How to Pay Traffic Challan Online in Pune
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Maharashtra?
People wanting to drive in Maharashtra should carry their driving licence with them at all times while driving. So if you don’t have your driving licence, you need to apply for one right away. Below is the procedure to apply offline for a Permanent Driving licence in Maharashtra.
- Step 1: Individuals looking to apply for their driving licence in Maharashtra in the offline mode can apply by visiting the nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO) and collecting a form for the application of a new Permanent Driving licence.
- Step 2: After obtaining the form, you need to fill it with all the required information and documents needed for the application process.
- Step 3: Now once you have filled out the form, you need to submit it to the RTO Office for the verification process.
- Step 4: You will receive the confirmation and acknowledgment for the submission. Then you will be contacted regarding your eligibility for the driving licence.
- Step 5: After receiving the eligibility confirmation, you can visit the RTO Office again with your original documents.
- Step 6: There, your driving test will be conducted on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Step 7: If you pass the driving test, you will receive your driving licence by post.
Also Read: Learning Licence Maharashtra – Learning Licence Online & Offline Apply in Maharashtra
How to Apply for a Driving Licence Online in Maharashtra?
Applying for a driving licence has become an easy process as it can now be done online as well. The following points compose the full procedure for applying for a Permanent Driving licence.
- Step 1: First, visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways by clicking here.
- Step 2: Select the “Driving licence” option shown on the home page. There you will find the form for a new driving licence.
- Step 3: You can download this form and fill in the required information as requested. This information will include vehicle details, personal details, and many more.
- Step 4: After completing the online form, you must upload the required documents and submit the form on the website.
- Step 5: After this, you must carry the required original documents when you visit the RTO Office for your driving test.
- Step 6: Now you will receive the acknowledgment and an application number along with the notification once your application has been processed.
- Step 7: Now if you pass the driving test, you will receive your driving licence by post.
Booking Appointment for Driving Licence Test:
If you have applied online to obtain your driving licence in Maharashtra, you must book an appointment for your driving licence test. So here are the steps you need to follow after you receive the notification regarding your eligibility to take the test.
- Step 1: Visit www.sarathi.nic.in and select the “Appointment for slot booking” option on the homepage.
- Step 2: Now select the “DL Slot Booking” option from the drop-down menu at the top of the page. After that, select the “Slot Booking for Online Applications” option.
- Step 3: After completing the above steps, fill in the details asked on the page that appears, including your online application number, which you must have received.
- Step 4: Then, you will be able to select your preferred date and time slot for your driving test.
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
There are two ways to check the application status of your driving licence. Both are described below with detailed procedures to obtain your application status.
Steps to check Driving Licence Status Online through the State Transport Department website:
- Step 1: Visit the State Transport Department website of Maharashtra by going on https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/.
- Step 2: Select the “Civil Services” option from the main menu.
- Step 3: Select the “licence” option from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Choose the “Permanent licence” option.
- Step 5: Now click on the apply online button.
- Step 6: You will be redirected to the Parivahan website. Here, select the “Online Services” option from the main menu.
- Step 7: Select “Driving licence Related Services” and then select your state.
- Step 8: Select the” Application Status” option, and your driving licence status will be shown.
- Step 9: Click on the form and fill in the details like the application number and date of birth, and fill in the captcha code shown.
- Step 10: After entering the details, click the submit button, and the application status will be shown on your screen.
Steps to check Driving Licence Status Online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website
- Step 1: Visit the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website by clicking here at parivahan.gov.
- Step 2: Click on the “Driving licence Related Services” option under the “Online Services” tab.
- Step 3: Now click on the “Application Status” option in the top left corner.
- Step 4: Click on the “Application Status” option at the top right corner.
- Step 5: Enter the details required, including the application number, date of birth, and captcha shown on the screen.
- Step 6: After completing all the details, click submit.
- Step 7: After submitting the information, you will be shown the current status of your driving licence application on the screen.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
Having more than one copy of your important documents will ensure that you always have a backup. So if you want to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra, you should follow these steps to obtain the driving licence easily.
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra:
The important documents required for applying for a duplicate licence in Maharashtra are as follows.
- Application form (LLD Form)
- If you lost your driving licence in theft, the police report of FIR of the incident is necessary
- Driving licence details such as holder’s name, licence number, etc. are needed
- Passport-size photographs
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
Here is the list of the simple steps you need to follow to complete the procedure of applying for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra.
- Step 1: The applicant should submit the application form and other necessary documents in offline mode in the same RTO Office from where the driving licence was issued.
- Step 2: If you can’t reach the RTO Office at the specified time, you need to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the office in order to carry forward with your application for the duplicate driving licence.
- Step 3: The applicant is needed to submit the proof of identity and proceed with the payment of the application fee along with the submission of the documents.
- Step 4: After the verification from the RTO Office, a duplicate driving licence will be issued to the applicant.
How to Renew a Driving licence in Maharashtra?
A driving licence can be applied for renewal when it expires. It must be made sure that the renewal is done within 30 days of the driving licence expiring. The procedure for applying for the renewal of a driving licence in Maharashtra is given below.
Documents Required for Renewal of Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
These are the necessary documents required for renewal of driving licence in Maharashtra.
- The expired driving licence of the applicant
- Renewal of driving licence application form (Form 9)
- Application Form number 2
- Form number 1 (Self-declaration as to the physical fitness for Non-Transport Vehicles)
- Form number 1A (Medical Certificate for Transport Vehicles only).
- 3 Passport size photographs
- NOC (No Objection Certificate)
- Fees as prescribed along with the user charges.
Steps to Apply for a Renewal Licence in Maharashtra:
- Step 1: The applicant has to visit the RTO Office in person and collect the renewal form.
- Step 2: The form should be filled and submitted to the RTO Office along with the required documents.
- Step 3: After submission of the form and documents, the applicant has to pay the renewal fees after which they will receive the receipt of the application fees.
- Step 4: You will receive the renewed driving licence by post at the registered address.
- Step 1: Visit the official State Transport Department website of Maharashtra.
- Step 2: Fill out the renewal application Form 9 and submit it along with the required documents.
- Step 3: After submitting the documents, the form will be verified.
- Step 4: After successfully verifying your application form, your driving licence will be renewed.
How to Apply for an International Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
If you are currently residing in the state of Maharashtra and want to drive overseas, then you need to obtain an international driving licence. Here is the procedure to apply for an international driving licence in Maharashtra.
Eligibility Criteria for obtaining an International Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
- People who wish to apply for an international driving licence from Maharashtra need to be above the age of 18 years and must possess a valid Indian driving licence prior to applying for an international one.
- If the applicant has applied within 3 months from the date of issue of the Indian driving licence, then they will have to appear for a driving test again.
- The applicant whose licence has been revoked can not apply for an international driving licence.
Documents Required for getting an International Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
These are the necessary documents required to obtain an international driving licence in Maharashtra.
- Application form
- Copy of the Indian driving licence
- Medical certificate
- Passport and Visa
Steps to Apply for a Duplicate Licence in Maharashtra:
- Step 1: The applicant is required to submit the application form and other required documents at the RTO office in person.
- Step 2: After the verification of the licence and completion of the process, the international driving licence will be sent to the registered address of the applicant.
Driving Test Procedure in Maharashtra:
Individuals who wish to obtain a driving licence in Maharashtra need to appear for a driving test after submitting the application form and the required documents. So here is the procedure for a driving test in Maharashtra.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The test for two-wheelers and three-wheelers is conducted in the nearby areas of the RTO Office. The applicant is required to ride the vehicle along the marked border. If the rider does all the asked skills efficiently, the inspector approves the rider and is then sent for the road test. On clearing all the steps, the applicant is eligible to receive their Permanent Driving licence.
Test for Four-Wheeler:
The driving test for four-wheeler vehicles is the same as for two or three-wheelers. The applicant has to drive along the H shape without touching either column marked on the ground. After clearing the ground test, the driver is sent to drive the car on the road with an inspector accompanying him. After approving the applicant’s driving skills, the inspector approves his application, and the driving licence is issued.
How to Make Corrections in Driving Licences in Maharashtra?
The driving licence issued to an individual might be obtained with minor errors, such as misspelled names and addresses. But these can be corrected easily by following a few steps. So if you have any error in your driving licence, get it corrected as one’s driving licence also functions as identity proof as well.
Documents Required for Corrections in Driving licence in Maharashtra:
The important documents required to make corrections to your existing driving licence are as follows.
- Application form
- Supporting documents, such as a marriage certificate, are required in case of a name change, along with the gazette notification attached to the form.
- Current driving licence
Procedure for Correction in Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
These are the steps to be followed to apply for corrections in your driving licence.
- Step 1: Submit the application form with the correct documents and the existing driving licence.
- Step 2: The applicant will receive an acknowledgment along with a temporary licence with the correct details.
- Step 3: The new driving licence will be issued and sent to the applicant at the registered address.
How to Change Address in Driving licence in Maharashtra?
Any person can change the address on their Driving licence at any time. As per the law, the driving licence of the individual should be updated with the new address whenever there is an address change. Here is the procedure for changing your address on your driving licence in Maharashtra.
Documents Required for Address Change in Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
Below is the list of documents you need to submit to change the address on your driving licence in Maharashtra.
- Address change application form
- Current driving licence copy
- New address proof (ration card, utility bills, passport, etc can be submitted)
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the original licence issuing authority
Procedure for Address Change in Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
- Step 1: The applicant should submit the required documents in person to the RTO Office along with a requisition letter addressed to the Regional Transport Officer and the application fees.
- Step 2: Then the applicant’s photograph will be taken at the RTO for verification
- Step 3: A temporary licence will be issued that will contain the changed address in the meantime.
- Step 4: The applicant will receive the updated new driving licence with the changed address in the post to the new registered address.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
Here are some tips for an applicant to clear their driving test.
- Practice for the road test
- Relax before the test and don’t stress too much
- Always use common sense
- Have a basic knowledge of road safety rules
- Always keep both hands on wheels and look ahead while driving
- Amend to the present driving conditions
- Don’t be afraid to ask the examiner for instructions
The Bottom Line
The conclusion from this article is that it is important to obtain a driving licence if you want to drive anywhere in the country. Different states have different rules for issuing a driving licence. In addition, it is also necessary to keep important documents about your vehicle and your driver’s licence with you at all times while you are driving. So don’t delay in getting your driving licence, and get going now!
How to Apply for Driving License in other states?
A: To change the address on your driving licence, the applicant must submit the correct documents, such as the application form, a copy of the current driving licence, NOC from the original licensing authority, application fees, and new address proof at the RTO Office. After verification of these documents, the new driving licence will be sent to the updated address within 7 days.
A: A Learner's licence in Maharashtra can be obtained offline or online. For this, you can visit the nearest RTO Office and fill the application form 2 and submit it along with the required documents at the office or visit the online portals.
A: No, it is not necessary to give a driving test for an international driving licence unless you have applied for the same within the 3 months of issuing the Indian drivin
A: Yes, you will need to take your own car to appear for the driving test to obtain your Permanent Driving licence in Maharashtra.
A: To make corrections to your driving licence in Maharashtra, you will need to submit the correct identity proof along with your existing driving licence. Fill out the application form for the corrections and wait for the verification of the form.
A: Yes, a Learner's licence is mandatory if you apply for a Permanent Driving licence.
A: licence in Maharashtra?
The required documents are as follows:
Registration Certificate of the car
Car insurance proof
Fitness certificate (in case of transport vehicles)
Tax payment proof
A: You should keep the following documents with you at all times while driving your vehicles:
A: The Maharashtra Parivahan helpline number is +91-120-4925505.
A: Form 1A can be downloaded from the official website of the Privahan Sewa.
A: The fee for obtaining a learner’s driving licence is Rs. 151, and for a Permanent Driving licence, it is Rs. 716.
A: You will receive the driving licence after 7 days of appearing for the driving test in Maharashtra.
A: You can apply for the renewal of your driving licence by submitting the application form at the same RTO office or online by visiting the official website of Parivahan Seva.
A: You can visit the official website of Maharashtra RTO, Parivahan Sewa, and track down your driving licence.
A: To obtain a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra, you can apply at the RTO Office or visit the Parivahan Sewa website online.
A: The Permanent Driving licence has a validity of 20 years or up to 50 years.
A: Yes, a Learner's licence is mandatory when you apply for a driving licence.
A: Yes, a new driving licence can be issued without another driving test in Maharashtra.
A:Yes, you can retake the driving test after at least 7 days of your current attempt.
A: No, it is not necessary to appear for a driving test to procure an international driving licence unless you apply for it within 3 months of the date of issue of your Permanent Driving licence.
A: You can issue a new driving licence in case of theft by submitting the application form along with the police report or the FIR of the incident at the RTO office.