Considering the hectic lifestyle, people are keener on buying their own cars nowadays. Very few people prefer to use public transport. But buying a vehicle is not the end of the story. It would be best if you also learned to drive the vehicle to reduce the dependency on anyone else.
But how can you do it? Do you have to follow any specific rule? According to Indian Motor Vehicle Act 1988, no Indian can drive a car on an Indian road without obtaining a learning license. If you are one of those who want to know everything about applying for a learning license, we have got you covered. In this article, we have mentioned every detail about applying for a Learning license to aid you a little when you decide to have a learning license.
What is a Learning License?
A learning license is an official authorization confirming one’s right to drive a vehicle on any Indian road. To obtain a driving license, you must issue a learning license first. If you show the right documents to the RTO, it will issue your learning license.
In India, candidates get a learning license if they pass a written test.
Also Read: How To Apply For Driving Licence (DL)
Types of Learners’ License – Learning License (LL) Categories
There are various types of learning licenses. One can get a Learners’ license based on the class of motor vehicle. We have provided a table below mentioning the various types of Learners’ licenses. Go through the table to know more about the Learners’ license.
||MC 50CC (Motorcycle 50 cc)
||Motor vehicle with engine capacity of less than 50 cc or of 50cc
||Motorcycle with no gear but it can have any engine capacity.
||Light motor vehicles, especially used for non-transport.
||MCWG or M/CYCL.WG
||Any type of motorcycle.
||Motorcycles that have gear and light and come with a capacity of 50 cc.
||Light motor vehicles that are mainly used for commercial purposes.
||Any heavy passenger motor vehicle or any trucks and cars that have all India permit.
||Any heavy goods vehicle.
||Medium goods vehicle
||Any light vehicle that is not used for transport.
Also Read: How To Transfer Ownership Of Vehicle
Eligibility Criteria for Learners’ License
Eligibility criteria for obtaining Learners’ license differs depending on the motor vehicle you use and the license type you want to issue. We understand that you might get confused while applying for a Learners’ license to the RTO. So, we have provided you with a table clarifying the eligibility criteria depending on the Learners’ license.
|Motorcycle with gear
||The candidate needs to be at least eighteen years old.
||The candidate needs to be eighteen years old and must know all the traffic rules and regulations. The candidate needs to have a valid address proof to produce to the RTO office. The candidates must have valid age proof too.
|Motorcycles without gear with 50cc engine capacity
||The applicant needs to be eighteen years old. If the applicant is less than eighteen then a consent letter from parents is required.
|Transport vehicle or commercial heavy vehicle
||The applicant must complete class eight, and needs to be eighteen.
Also Read: How To Pay Traffic Challan Online And Offline
Learners’ License Forms
You can only obtain a learners’ license in India, if you submit the required documents to the RTO and the filled out RTO forms. We have mentioned the forms and its purposes below. Please check that out to know why all these forms are necessary.
- Form 1 and 1-A – These forms are referred to as medical forms.
- Form 2 – This is the application form which ensures the applicant’s application for obtaining the learners’ license to the RTO office.
Learning License Fees
|Learners’ license test or repeat test
|Learners’ license issuance
Documents Required to Apply for A Learning License
|Telephone or electricity bill
|Class 10 mark sheet
|Passport size photo (six copies)
|Utility bill or rental agreement
|Transfer certificate (if there is any)
What is the Importance of Learners’ License in India?
As discussed above, a Learners’ license is essential before obtaining a driving license so one can drive a vehicle on any Indian road. So, here, we have mentioned some important reasons for letting you know the importance of learners’ licenses in India.
- A Learners’ license allows a person to learn to drive with an experienced instructor who knows all the rules and regulations. So, to learn to drive, you must obtain a Learners’ license first.
- Usually applying for a driving license is usually a lot of work, and you must wait for days before getting the license. But obtaining a driving license becomes easy if you already have a learner’s license.
- A Learners’ license can help you train with a permanent driving license holder. It can help you become skilled. Also, you can take your vehicle out.
- If you have a Learners’ license, you will get familiar with the rules and regulations of the road, making you confident while driving.
How to Apply for a Learning License (LL) Online?
- Step 1: First, open Chrome on your device and browse to find your state’s transport department’s website.
- Step 2: Find out if the website has a facility to apply online for a learning license.
- Step 3: If the official website of your state transport department provides you with the opportunity to apply for a learning license, then read the instructions as thoroughly as possible.
- Step 4: Here, you need to fill out some basic information like your father’s name, district, Aadhar card, postal card and locality.
- Step 5: Provide your address and any valid age proof while submitting your online application form.
- Step 6: After you fill out the form, the RTO office will provide you with a test slot. You will need to sit for the test to obtain the Learners’ license.
- Step 7: Now, pay for the application form online. You can choose whatever mode of payment you prefer.
- Step 8: Once you pay the amount after filling out the application form, you will receive a payment receipt via email.
- Step 9: Now, submit all the required documents and the application form to the RTO office.
- Step 10: Now, go to either the Learners’ license test facility or the RTO to give the test. Once you give the test, you will receive the Learners’ license after a few days.
Note: You need to provide the payment receipt at the examination slot.
How to Apply for a Learners’ License through Parivahan Website?
You can apply for a learning license online by using the Parivahan website. We have provided a step-by-step guide to help you know how to apply for a learning license by using the Parivahan website.
- Step 1: Go to Chrome on your device.
- Step 2: Now, go to https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Step 3: Next, go to the Online Services option. You will find this potion at the top.
- Step 4: Now, you need to select the option named Driving License Related Services.
- Step 5: Select your state once you choose the Driving License Related Services.
- Step 6: Once you select the state, you will be redirected to another page. Here, you will find the Fee/Payment option. Tap on that.
- Step 7: Here, you will need to provide your required details.
- Step 8: Next, you will get an option called Click here to calculate fees. Click on that.
- Step 9: Now, choose the payment gateway according to your preference.
- Step 10: Pay the amount required to apply for a learning license.
How to Apply for a Learners’ License in RTO or Offline in India?
Are you confused about the process of applying for a Learners’ license? Do you think it is difficult for you to apply for a Learners’ license online? If so, you can opt for the offline method, also.
We have mentioned a few steps below, using which you can apply for a Learners’ license offline.
- Step 1: First, you must fill out the required RTO forms to obtain a learner’s license. You can fill out Form 2 to apply for a Learners’ license and a passport-sized photograph; however, if you want to provide normal photographs, fill out Form 3. You can get the forms from your regional RTO, or you can download them from the official website of the state transport.
- Step 2: Now, attach the age proof and the address proof with the application form.
- Step 3: Now, visit the RTO office and submit the filled-out forms.
- Step 4: Set a schedule to sit for the test. It would help if you also chose a slot.
- Step 5: Go to the chosen slot and give your test.
- Step 6: Once you pass the test, you will receive the Learners’ license.
What is the Test Procedure to Get a Learning License (LL)?
The learners’ license test is essential to get familiar with the road rules and safety signals. If you want to issue a driving license, later on, you need to pass the exam to obtain the Learners’ license first.
But what is the test procedure? If you wonder how the test will happen or what rules you must follow, you can read the next part of the article, where we have mentioned the test procedure as thoroughly as possible.
- Firstly, go to the slot where you have to give your examination. Please maintain the time.
- Ask the RTO office to provide you with printed notice concerning the important points informing the rules and regulations of the road.
- Now, submit the confirmation slip to the counter before you appear for the exam. If you fill out the application form online, take a printout.
- You will get some multiple-choice questions. All you need to do is answer those questions and pass the exam.
Why Do You Need a LL in India?
- It is easier to obtain a driving license if you already have a Learners’ license.
- If you have a Learners’ license, you will get familiar with the rules and regulations of the road much faster than usual.
- A Learners’ license allows a person to learn to drive with an experienced instructor who will assist you in becoming skilled at driving as fast as possible.
- If you have a Learners’ license, it can help you train with a permanent driving license holder.
Even though everyone is aware of the importance of using a driving license, very few are familiar with the usage of learner’s license. As a result, not many people know about issuing a Learners’ license. But if you are one of them, we hope the above article about how to issue a Learners’ license will help you gain clear insight.
Check How to Apply for Learning License in Different States:
A: The fees for Learners’ licenses vary depending on the test. If you apply for a repeat test, you must pay 300/-. But if you issue a Learners’ license, you need to pay 200/-.
A: Yes, this license is valid all over India.
A: If you want to obtain a duplicate Learners’ license, you need to provide the RTO office with a written application. Also, you must submit an affidavit declaring that you have lost it. You can also state that you will return the lost Learners' license if you find it.
A: Yes. But you have to issue the Learners’ license depending on the vehicle.
A: The validity of Leaners’ license is valid for six months. The validity period is the same throughout India.
A: No. Usually, the question paper is in an MCQ format. You have to provide some answers.
A: Yes. You must get familiar with the basic road rules and regulations while learning to drive with a Learners' License.
A: No. You will have to give a written test to obtain a Learners’ License. You do not need to drive any vehicle.
A: No. If you need to apply for a LL for a non-gear vehicle and car, you do not need to apply separately. You can apply for a Learners’ license just the day you do.
A: Yes. You can renew your Leaners’ license after it expires.